Playgroups are informal sessions where mums, dads, grandparents, caregivers, children and babies get together in a relaxed environment.
Playgroups are set up and run by parents and caregivers, with children choosing from a range of activities set up to meet their varying needs. Activities at playgroup include:
- Music and Singing
- Imaginative play
- Outdoor and free play
- Art and Craft activities
Playgroup can be held anywhere that is safe for children and where groups of people can meet – community and neighborhood centers, health clinics, women’s centers, preschools and kindergartens, church halls, parks and playgrounds, even in someone’s home.
In a playgroup, parents and caregivers stay to interact with the other adults, and to play with the children.
No child is too young for playgroup. All children from 0-5 years, including babies, love new experiences and benefit from developing sensory, social and communication skills through activities at playgroup.
Children like playgroup because they can:
- Participate in new experiences
- Develop and increase their social skills
- Learn sharing, co-operation and simple routines
- Interact with other adults and children in a safe environment
- Enjoy learning more about their world
Adults also benefit from playgroup – a time to talk, make friends and share experiences, while children learn through their play experiences.
Adults like playgroup because they can:
- Meet other local families and develop new friendships
- Relax and talk in a friendly environment
- Share experiences and ideas
- Play with children and nurture a spirit of co-operation
- Take up opportunities for personal development
Playgroup NT is here to help you:
- Find a local playgroup which suits your needs
- Set up a new playgroup
If you would like to START a new playgroup in your area or JOIN an existing playgroup, call Playgroup NT on 1800 171 882 (free call).