What is the Playconnect+ Program?
PlayConnect+ playgroups welcome all children with disability and/or developmental concerns aged 0-8 years, their families, carers and siblings. No formal diagnosis or formal assessment is required to join.
PlayConnect+ draws on learning and experiences gathered through the PlayConnect Playgroups model for autistic children (0-5 years), children with autistic-like characteristics, developmental delays, or behavioural concerns. These playgroups were delivered across Australia from 2009-2022.
What will Playconnect+ Programs look like?
The PlayConnect+ program will offer a variety of different playgroups in locations across the Northern Territory. This is a new program for Playgroup NT and are currently in the planning stage with further information coming.
We know that we will deliver:
- Face-to-face weekly, supported playgroups in 2 rural/remote areas prioritising First Nations children and families.
- An online playgroup for families NT-wide and those who cannot attend a face-to-face group.
Who is the Playconnect+ Playgroup Programs for?
PlayConnect+ playgroups face-to-face or online, welcome all children with disability and/or developmental concerns aged 0-8 years, their families, carers and siblings. No formal diagnosis or formal assessment is necessary to attend.
How will a Playconnect+ Playgroup Program benefit our family?
The PlayConnect+ program is a great way for families to connect, share knowledge, ideas, and have fun.
PlayConnect+ Playgroups are designed with the Australian Institute of Family Studies, ‘Principles for high-quality playgroups’ core characteristics to ensure high quality effective playgroups.
These characteristics ensure that:
- Playgroups are about play, offering high quality, fun play-based experiences for children and carers.
- Playgroups are child focused, inclusive and developmentally appropriate.
- Playgroups are about connection- for children, their families, carers and playgroup facilitator to connect with others through play.
- Playgroups are safe and welcoming – providing a culturally, physically and emotionally safe and inclusive spaces.
- Playgroups are culturally safe – honouring, respecting and supporting family’s cultural heritage and the needs of their children.
- Playgroups are flexible- playgroup facilitators are flexible, responsive and adaptive in the delivery of the playgroup to meet the needs of children, families, carers and community.
- Playgroups are strengthening- recognise and value the strengths, skills and knowledge of families. Parents/Carers are acknowledged as the child’s first teacher.
Further reading on these principles can be located here,
Where will Playconnect+ be held?
PlayConnect+ Online – Curious Crocodiles Playgroup
This online playgroup will run Tuesday morning for 30 minutes. Sessions are due to start in late July.
These sessions will be interactive and fun – a joyful time for you to connect with other families, engage in play, share stories and gain support.
We are now taking expressions of interest for these sessions, see contact details below.
Will I need to pay?
All PlayConnect+ playgroups are free, but families do need to register and be a member of Playgroup NT.
PlayConnect+ is delivered by Playgroup NT in a partnership led by Autism Queensland. The program is funded by the Australian Government Department of Social Services.
Further information about the program can be found at www.playconnectplus.com.au
Who should I contact?
To register your interest for our PlayConnect+ Online – Curious Crocodiles Playgroup please contact Cindy at Playgroup NT on 0437 711 672 or [email protected]